Sunday 10 January 2010

A Prayer

I was standing on the rocks. 
Away from the shore and the lapping tide.
Away from the foaming waves, the torrential dance.
Away from the pebbles, the shells,
Away from the collected crap of aluminum cans and worn but still branded plastic packets.
I was standing by the rocks, high above the sea.
Under the same sky that contorted before my eyes,
Under the sky that stretched out before me and was pink at the end.
Under the sky that had seen infinite mornings but always with a new face.
Under the sky, the most beautiful arc of colour and deliberate undertaking.
I remained there among the rocks attempting to pin point the horizon
The space was vast and foreboding and the world dark around the edges.
Out of the dark came a great man.
His body engaged, his mind resolute.
His muscled arms hauled a huge red iron pillar, at least twenty or thirty meters in length.
On its side, as it made its laborious journey, the pillar seemed to split the sky from the sea,
The sky now was penetrable, I watched as the source of my anxiety was reframed,
Was mocked or hailed?
Was challenged or paid homage?
Was courted or ignored?
The sun creeping through gaps in the clouds, reflecting off the pillar making it into a beacon
A manmade beacon juxtaposed with all of natures beauty and omnipotence.
When the man arrived at the center of the scene he stopped
He noticed the varying colours of blue and grey and green in the water
He noticed the plastic packets floating in the foam
He noticed the houses in the distance which were sprinkled along the shore
He noticed the shells and pebbles at his feet
He noticed me now sitting on the rocks behind him
He noticed the sound of the breeze as it hurried through his hair, his fingers
He noticed the slowing of his heart after his exertions
He noticed his mind nagging him to complete his task.
And the man once again picked up the vast pillar, this time holding it vertically.
He raised it high above his head.
My heart raced, would the man dishonor this scene?
With one mighty movement he drove the pillar deep into the ground
It would never move again.
He stood back and took in the pillar in the landscape, standing alone for the first time.
He was satisfied with his prayer for humanity.
He moved off with strength and nobility, leaving the scene the way he had entered it.
Again I was alone and I found that I was no longer by the rocks
I was walking, running down toward the sea, toward the pillar.
I arrived at the pillar, standing at the base and looked up
I saw the sky and it seemed closer to me now.
I sat on the ground and leant against the pillar and looked out,
I saw the sea and it seemed closer to me now.
I stood with my back against the pillar and I stretched out my arms
I felt the air supporting me,
I felt the sand beneath me supporting me
I felt the sound of the sea supporting me
I felt the movement of the clouds supporting me.
I stood on the beach and I felt complimented by the stature and integrity of the elements.
I felt my soul reflect the sea and the sky.
I felt I too could be vast.
I felt I too could be beautiful.
I left I too could be powerful.
I felt I too could be content.
I felt I too could be empowered by the cycle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment