Friday 23 October 2009

Get Faceted

I am constantly amazed by the multifaceted nature of humanity. I can even surprise myself sometimes at the way that I will behave in a given situation and I discover more about myself the more I am challenged and exposed. It is so exciting to me that you can know a person, really know them, call them your best friend or your lover or your parent or whatever but still only have scratched the surface of their range of expression. We like to cocoon ourselves in static situations, familiarity breeds confidence and so one persona a person might have is reinforced over time - it becomes their demeanor and if we allow ourselves to become entrenched in a static definition of who we are we risk never exploring our identity to the full. 


Emotions run deep, deeper than many people allow themselves to experience, I think we are all socially conditioned to treat our emotions in a certain way and conditioned to believe what they mean for us as individuals in the world. To have the ability to allow feelings and emotions to transcend social boundaries is to experience real freedom of the spirit in a way that promotes good health, both mental and physical (we are so connected) and encourages honest and meaningful interactions between men.


People like to be able to say 'this is me', 'I know what I'm about', I've never been one of those people and at times this has been a frustration, people with steady ideas seem to move faster.  I'm learning that if we are constantly expanding as individuals then we can never wholly know ourselves, realizing and accepting this allows you to sit back a little, truly open your awareness of yourself and others - go slow and get a better view. Certainty is a fallacy. The unknown is what it means to be human, it's why we open our eyes in the morning.


We live in a time where where every commodity has become a fashion accessory, people have to decide which group they want to be part of and then organize their lives accordingly. We love brands, we like to be told 'who' is the best and what is the statistical favorite. We seek certainty. I think we could learn a lot more about each other and ourselves as the human race and what that means if we are brave enough, enlightened enough to look inward, at the individual and immerse, submerge ourselves in the things we don't know about ourselves, things we are scared of. Time and time again it's always the scary things that are the most worthwhile and I guess that why bravery is such a noble trait.

No comments:

Post a Comment